LEGAL ADVOCATE/NON-RESIDENTIAL CASE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
This program offers help to victims of recent or ongoing domestic violence to obtain an Order of Protection from their abuser in McKinley County, surrounding counties, Navajo Nation, and Pueblo of Zuni.
Battered Families Services can:
- Help you fill out the Petition for Order of Protection from domestic abuse.
- File the petition in the 11th Judicial District Court in Gallup, NM.
- Provide courtroom support at telephonic and in-person hearings.
The purpose of an Order of Protection (also known as a Restraining Order) issued under the Family Violence Protection Act is to stop the violence and prevent it from happening again.
The first Order of Protection is a Temporary Order of Protection and lasts 10 days.
The Court will hold another hearing, which you will be required to attend, to decide whether to continue the order as a longer-term Order of Protection.
Battered Families Services can also help with the following:
- Counter - Petition for Order of Protection from Domestic Abuse.
- Domestic violence related Kinship Guardianship.
- Domestic violence related Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit.
- Domestic violence related Power of Attorney.
- Free access to Notary Public for domestic violence related documents.
McKinley County Resources for Free or Affordable Civil Legal Help
Contact: W. Dee Velasco
Legal Advocate and Case Manager
Battered Families Services
207 South Strong Drive
Gallup, NM 87301
Work cell: 505.567.4401
IF YOU NEED LEGAL ADVICE YOU SHOULD SEEK THE ASSISTANCE OF A LAWYER